Sunday, May 16, 2010

Getting Caught Up/High School Baseball Essay/ H.S. Baseball Tournament First Round Picks for Groups I-IV

Sorry about the long hiatus guys. Between getting caught up in watching the NCAA Tournament as well as the start of baseball and also finishing up the school year with papers, presentations, etc. I haven't had the time to make any new posts. I am taking one class both halfs of the summer and possibly a job or an internship, but I should have much more time to write now. Perhaps its good I stopped making NCAA predictions because needless to say, I did not have Northern Iowa over Kansas haha although unlike many people in the country, from watching as much college basketball as I have, I was well familiar with guys such as Ali Faroukmanesh and knew he could step up in big spots and he did twice and shocked really the nation with the second one. To my credit, I did have Duke and West Virginia in the final 4. If anyone had the left side of the bracket's two teams in the semifinals, I really need you to go with me to Vegas or something haha. But I do remember reading back in October that this year's Butler team was a once in a generation team. They will be remembered for what they did a long time...but it would've been nice to see Gordon Hayward nail that half court three as time expired in what all probability would have been considered the best tournament championship game ever...it may have already been.

In front of me, I have this year's high school tournament brackets for New Jersey. To me, this is easily the most unpredictable of all the championships in high school sports, because you are only as good as your next day's pitcher. Great teams have off days. Mediocre teams can overachieve and in some cases, teams who play like Jekyll and Hyde suddenly get hot which is what happened to my high school's team my senior year. My senior year could not have ended personally for me any better. As someone who had managed St. Joe's Metuchen's basketball team for three years, we wound up never winning the county tournament as well as never winning a sectional or state final, losing to CBA, our archrivals, both my junior and senior year. I decided to try to be a part of a team in the spring with a last ditch effort to possibly be part of a championship winning team before I graduated. Because we get out so early, it also would fill a large void before I started working in the summer between May and June. So in essence and what I thought was great about the end of my senior year was that for the last 3 weeks of our season, since we were done with class, baseball was the sole reason for me to keep going to school and I actually think that may have relaxed us in the state tournament time. We wound up losing in the Quarterfinals to Carteret and then qualified in the state tournament with just a 10-8 record....but then our luck seemed to change. Our first round opponent was Red Bank Catholic who we got 10 runned by earlier in the season and we wound up using our ace pitcher who pretty much had as dominant a run in states as you could possibly have. We won 6-2. We then played top seeded Notre Dame, who was a decent team, they just played nowhere near the competition we do most of the time so that greatly benefitted us. We went to their place and won in as impressive a fashion as you could ever beat a top seed, 12-0. Although Coach gave our pitcher a one hitter, you could have definitely made the case that the hit was an error which would've been a phenomonal accoomplishment, especially playing the 1 seed. This perhaps is where our luck reached its peak although I beleive we would have beaten them regardless. We played at Holy Cross at a really random 1:00PM start time on a Friday afternoon on June 1 because Holy Cross's graduation was later that night so I don't think their heads were in the game as much as it normally would have been. Our bats picked up right where they left off and we destroyed Holy Cross 14-2. And easily the game I was anticipating that would eventually happen with one last shot to beat them before I graduated was a game against CBA on a neutral field, and for a sectional championship no less. Going in we obviously knew it was going to be a grind it out game and that's exactly what it was. It was the greatest game I've seen St. Joe's play in watching them over the last 3 years or so, although I think I would always take St. Joe's basketball team's 4OT victory on the road vs. Top 5 in the state Holy Spirit as the best game I've been involved with at St. Joe's. But nonetheless, I don't think I've ever been prouder of a team than that day where we showed a hell of a lot of heart and desire and knew that some of these guys didn't want their playing careers to end. We were facing Kyle Slate who would eventually get drafted by the Phillies. He came into that game with a 10-0 record and a .6 ERA. We wound up getting a run across on a wild pitch in the Top of the 8th inning to take a 1-0 lead and we would hold on in the bottom to become sectional champions. Not a bad way to end my high school career as manager. Obviously, I wanted us to get to CBA and win that game, but I thought as long as we won our first two state games including knocking off the 1 seed that would have made our season. After the CBA game, we played Seton Hall Prep for the state championship three days after Rick Porcello had been underdrafted for the Detroit Tigers so I think he was coming in with extra motivation. Unfortunately I really believe our players mentally lost the game before it was even played. We had to play a stellar game just to compete with them and since we were mentally and psychologically fragile about facing him, we lost the game before it was even played. Granted we probably wouldn't have beaten them anyway. I'll never forget looking at the state breakdowns that day in the paper...it said St. Joe's Metuchen 16-12 vs. Seton Hall Prep 33-1. It really felt like Hoosiers and in my graduation year no less. It was really great that I got to experience a great run like this to win a title just as I was about to leave high school. But I think the important thing to take out of this is that we were like Hoosiers all along. We only finished 10-8 as of state cutoff and were underdogs each game. Even though we walked away losers after the Seton Hall game, we were still champions which is something I think many people doubted we could be going into states. Baseball is a funny game and there is no rhyme or reason to things that happen. There are no St. Pat's or St. Anthony's in baseball who rely on their legacy and just overall physical domination to win games. All it takes is a hot pitcher. Just like we had with Kevin Poll my senior year who in his games, we outscored our opponents 21-4. One or more of these stories will come into fruition this year...it will be interesting to see who will it be. And now to my picks...

In each bracket I'll capitalize my three teams who I think could potentially win the section.

North I, Group I
#1 RIDGEFIELD over #16 Leonia
#8 Belvidere over #9 Palisades Park
#12 Verona over #5 Park Ridge
#13 Cedar Grove over #4 Emerson Boro
#14 Cresskill over #3 Wallington
#6 HASBROUCK HEIGHTS over #11 Midland Park
#7 SADDLE BROOK over #10 Morris Tech
#2 Waldwick over #15 Butler

North II, Group I
#1 WHIPPANY PARK has a bye.
#9 New Providence over #8 North Arlington
#12 Hoboken over #5 University
#4 LYNDHURST over #13 Weehawken
#3 BLOOMFIELD TECH over #14 Glen Ridge
#11 Jonathan Dayton over #6 Arts
#7 Secaucus over #10 Harrison
#2 High Tech over #15 University Charter

Central, Group I
#1 ROBBINSVILLE has a bye.
#9 Dunellen over #8 South Hunterdon
#5 SOUTH RIVER over #12 Somerset Tech
#4 Metuchen over #13 Asbury Park
#3 Florence over #14 Keyport
#6 Bound Brook over #11 Roselle Park
#10 David Brearley over #7 Henry Hudson
#2 SOUTH AMBOY has a bye.

South, Group I
#1 PT. PLEASANT BEACH over #16 LEAP Academy
#8 Riverside over #9 Paulsboro
#12 Burlington City over #5 Wildwood
#4 NEW EGYPT over #13 A.P. Schalick
#14 Salem over #3 Pitman
#6 Pennsville over #11 Maple Shade
#7 GLOUCESTER CITY over #10 Gateway
#2 Penns Grove over #15 Palmyra

North I, Group II
#16 Kinnelon over #1 North Warren
#8 WESTWOOD over #9 River Dell
#5 Dumont over #12 New Milford
#4 Glen Rock over #13 Hopatcong
#3 INDIAN HILLS over #14 Elmwood Park
#11 Lenape Valley over #6 Pompton Lakes
#7 Ramsey over #10 Mahwah
#2 PEQUANNOCK over #15 Hawthorne

North II, Group II
#16 Cliffside Park over #1 Hackettstown
#8 HANOVER PARK over #9 Ridgefield Park
#12 PARSIPPANY over #5 Bernards
#13 Orange over #4 County Prep
#14 Madison over #3 Mountain Lakers
#11 Garfield over #6 Essex County Market Street
#10 Caldwell over #7 Science Park
#2 WEST ESSEX over #15 Lincoln

Central, Group II
#1 MIDDLESEX over #16 Matawan
#8 Summit over #9 Bordentown
#5 RARITAN over #12 Willingboro
#13 Delaware Valley over #4 Governor Livingston
#14 Rumson-Fair Haven over #3 Delran
#11 Spotswood over #6 Cinnaminson
#7 WEEQUAHIC over #10 Shore Regional
#15 Manasquan over #2 A. L. Johnson

South, Group II
#1 HADDONFIELD has a bye.
#8 Woodstown over #9 Glassboro
#5 Sterling over #12 Overbrook
#4 BUENA over #13 Middle Township
#3 Audubon over #14 Woodrow Wilson
#11 Barnegat over #6 West Deptford
#7 Haddon Heights over #10 Gloucester Tech
#2 HADDON TOWNSHIP over #15 Collingswood

North I, Group III
#1 PARAMUS over #16 Northern Highlands
#9 Wayne Hills over #8 Tenafly
#12 WAYNE VALLEY over #5 High Point
#13 Jefferson over #4 West Milford
#3 PASSAIC VALLEY over #14 Ramapo
#6 Sparta over #11 Lakeland
#7 Morris Hills over #10 NV Old Tappan
#2 Pascack Valley over #15 Bergenfield

North II, Group III
#1 SOUTH PLAINFIELD over #16 West Morris Mendham
#8 W Morris Central over #9 Ferris
#5 Morristown over #12 Colonia
#4 Nutley over #13 Carteret
#3 Cranford over #14 Voorhees
#6 J F KENNEDY, ISELIN over #11 Somerville
#10 Belleville over #7 Millburn
#2 SCOTCH PLAINS-FANWOOD over #15 Warren Hills

Central, Group III
#1 OCEAN TWP. over #16 Lawrence
#8 Monmouth Regional over #9 Middletown South
#12 Hamilton North over #5 Hightstown
#13 Northern Burlington over #4 Hopewell Valley
#3 JACKSON LIBERTY over #14 Allentown
#11 Hamilton West over #6 W Windsor North
#7 Red Bank Reg. over #10 Holmdel
#2 WALL over #15 Freehold Boro

South, Group III
#1 Highland Regional over #16 Lacey
#9 SENECA over #8 Manchester Regional
#5 Moorestown over #12 Lower Cape May
#4 CENTRAL REGIONAL over #13 Burlington Twp.
#14 Timber Creek over #3 Ocean City
#6 BRICK TWP. over #11 Pinelands
#7 Cumberland over #10 Kingsway
#2 Hammonton over #15 Pemberton

North I, Group IV
#1 RANDOLPH over #16 Clifton
#9 East Orange over #8 North Bergen
#5 Hackensack over #12 Morris Knolls
#4 Montclair over #13 Kearny
#3 RIDGEWOOD over #14 Fair Lawn
#11 Roxbury over #6 West Orange
#10 Memorial WNY over #7 Union City
#2 LIVINGSTON over #15 Passaic

North II, Group IV
#1 North Hunterdon over #16 Piscataway
#8 Woodbridge over #9 Ridge
#12 Linden over #5 Bayonne
#4 HUNTERDON CENTRAL over #13 Edison
#3 Westfield over #14 Elizabeth
#6 HILLSBOROUGH over #11 Union
#10 Phillipsburg over #7 Columbia
#2 BRIDGEWATER-RARITAN over #15 Perth Amboy

Central, Group IV
#1 MONROE over #16 Brick Memorial
#8 East Brunswick over #9 South Brunswick
#5 JACKSON MEMORIAL over #12 Pennsauken
#4 Montgomery over #13 W Windsor South
#14 North Brunswick over #3 Rancocas Valley
#11 Old Bridge over #6 Manalapan
#7 Howell over #10 Colts Neck
#2 HAMILTON EAST over #15 Toms River North

South, Group IV
#1 MILLVILLE over #16 Cherry Hill West
#9 Triton over #8 Cherokee
#5 WILLIAMSTOWN over #12 Absegami
#13 Washington Twp. over #4 Eastern
#3 Lenape over #14 Cherry Hill East
#6 Shawnee over #11 Toms River East
#10 Winslow Twp. over #7 Egg Harbor Twp.
#2 TOMS RIVER SOUTH over #15 Clearview Regional

I will due round by round predictions. The tournament shapes up like this...

Publics Groups I-IV First Round is tomorrow.
Publics Groups I-IV Sectional Quarterfinals are Friday. Non-Public's First Round action starts then as well.
Publics Groups I-IV Sectional Semifinals are Tuesday, May 25th. Non-Public's Quarterfinal action is then.
Publics Groups I-IV Sectional Finals are Friday, May 28th. Non-Public's Semifinals are going on as well.
Public Groups I-IV Group Semifinals are Tuesday, June 1st. Non-Public's Sectional Finals are going on as well.
On Saturday June 5th, down in Toms River at Toms River North, South and East High Schools, the Group championships in baseball and softball are being played so come down to check them out and see future college players as well as the future of High School Baseball. It's a really convenient way to check out a bunch of great teams all at once. Below are my predictions(in bold) for who will be playing and who will win in Toms River.

Group I
#4 Lyndhurst over #1 Ridgefield
#2 South Amboy over #4 New Egypt

#4 Lyndhurst over #2 South Amboy

Group II
#2 West Essex gets revenge on #2 Pequannock in the same round from last year and defeats them.
#1 Middlesex over #2 Haddon Township

#2 West Essex over #1 Middlesex

Group III
#1 South Plainfield over #3 Passaic Valley
#2 Wall over #4 Central Regional

#1 South Plainfield over #2 Wall

Group IV
#1 Randolph also gets revenge from last year by defeating #4 Hunterdon Central.
#2 Toms River South over #1 Monroe

#2 Toms River South has the hometown behind them and with their help wins a Group IV title over #1 Randolph

Non-Public A
#1 Immaculata over #6 Seton Hall Prep
#1 St. Joe's (Metuchen) over #2 Bishop Eustace

#1 St. Joe's (Metuchen) over #1 Immaculata

Non-Public B
I guess I should put a disclaimer on this one. For some strange reason, Hudson Catholic was moved out of the A bracket where they should have faced Immaculata in the first round. On the NJSIAA website, Hudson Catholic is a A school rather than a B school. A school's are bigger than B school's so by putting Hudson Catholic in here, they should be at an advantage. At some point, some one will probably realize they don't belong here and should've been in A as a 16 seed all along where they would've in all likelihood lost to Immaculata first round. In this spot with a bracket MUCH weaker than North A, they are a dangerous team and I think good enough to win the section. Here's hoping to all hell breaking loose once they find out the NJSIAA's error.

#10 Hudson Catholic over #1 Morristown-Beard
#4 St. Rose over #3 Gloucester Catholic

#4 St. Rose wins their third Non-Public B title in a row with a rout of #10 Hudson Catholic.

It may be unrealistic to have 5 GMC teams in the remaining 20 teams, but I imagine they will have at least 2 or 3. The county has showed in its tournament how deep the county is and how anyone can make a run any given day. Just look at yesterday when the 16 and 20 seeds were doing battle for a spot in the championship. Now the 16 seed will have a shot to be the lowest seed to win the county title. While the top teams are very good like St. Joe's, South Plainfield and Monroe, I certainly give teams such as Middlesex or South River a chance to make some noise in this tournament. It will be interesting to see and I think there is definitely a possibility of at least 2 GMC teams walking away from Toms River with group titles.

Last note, my NBA picks for the conference finals are the Los Angeles Lakers in 5 over the Phoenix Suns and the Orlando Magic in 6 over the Boston Celtics. I think Magic defeats the Lakers in 6 this year. Somehow my title pick is still alive haha. Hopefully the Magic can pull it out this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment